Immigration Services

Any foreign national who wishes to live and work legally in Mexico must obtain a Mexico Temporary Resident Visa and a Mexico Work Permit.

There are three types of Mexican visas:

  1. Tourist Visa: Allows the holder to stay in Mexico for up to 180 days for non-lucrative activities (no paid employment).

  2. Temporary Resident Visa: Issued to foreign nationals who wish to stay in Mexico for more than 180 days. It permits the holder to live and work in Mexico for up to four years, and is known as a Mexico Work Visa when combined with a work permit. This type is also suitable for digital nomads.

  3. Permanent Resident Visa: Issued to those who want to settle permanently in Mexico, often used by retirees, and also available to foreigners with close family ties or long-term residency in Mexico.

Guide to the Temporary Resident Visa and its Types

Types of Temporary Resident Visas for Mexico

  1. Mexico Work Visa: Allows the holder to engage in paid employment. Requires a work permit first.

  2. Mexico Student Visa: Issued to foreign students enrolled in Mexican educational institutions.

  3. Mexico Family Visa: Issued to those joining a close family member living in Mexico.

Requirements for a Mexico Temporary Resident Visa

To apply for a Temporary Resident Visa, you need:

  • A completed and signed Mexico Visa Application Form (minors need a parent/guardian's signature).

  • A passport with blank pages and a photocopy of relevant pages.

  • Recent passport-size photos per Mexico's requirements.

  • Visa fee payment.

  • Additional documents based on your travel purpose:

    • Proof of family relationship for Family Visas.

    • Proof of enrollment for Student Visas.

    • Proof of work permit and employment contract for Work Visas.

  • Any other documents requested by the Mexican embassy.

Application Process for a Mexico Temporary Resident Visa

The process involves two steps:

  1. Applying at a Mexican Embassy:

    • Schedule an appointment with a Mexican embassy.

    • Complete the Visa Application Form.

    • Gather required documents.

    • Submit the application and pay the fee.

    • Wait for processing.

    • Collect your passport with the visa affixed if approved.

  2. Exchanging the Visa for a Temporary Residence Card in Mexico:

    • Within 30 days of arrival, apply for a Temporary Residence Card at the National Immigration Institute (INM).

    • Required documents include:

      • Resident Card request form.

      • Passport with the Temporary Resident Visa.

      • Forma Migratoria Múltiple (FMM) from the airport.

      • Payment receipt.

      • Cover letter addressed to INM.

      • Any additional relevant documents.

Processing Time and Fees

  • Processing time varies by embassy, ranging from one week to a month. It's advisable to apply at least a month before traveling.

  • Visa fee is approximately $36, varying by country and payment method. Additional fees include the Tourist Card fee ($15-$30) and the Temporary Resident Card fee (3,000 to 7,000 Mexican Pesos, depending on the duration).

Duration and Renewal of the Temporary Resident Visa

  • The initial Temporary Resident Visa is valid for 180 days. Upon arrival, it must be converted to a Temporary Resident Card within 30 days.

  • The card is initially valid for one year and can be renewed for up to three more years.

  • After four years, you can apply for Permanent Residency.

  • Renewal applications must be submitted at least 30 days before the current card expires at the INM.

Applying for a Mexico Work Visa

  • Before applying, your employer must obtain a work permit from the INM.

  • The process involves:

    • Finding a Mexican employer.

    • The employer obtaining a work permit for you.

    • Applying for the Temporary Resident Visa within 15-30 days after the work permit is issued.

    • Obtaining a Temporary Residence Card upon arrival in Mexico.

Work Permit Application Process

  • The employer submits the following to the INM:

    • Work Permit Request Form.

    • Job offer/contract details.

    • Full photocopy of your passport.

    • Original diplomas and certifications (legalized).

    • CV.

    • Company documents, including Articles of Incorporation, employee list, and tax proof.

    • Financial status documents (bank statements, pay slips).

  • Upon approval, you'll receive a Unique Processing Number (NUT) to present at the Mexican embassy.

Working with a Visitor Visa

  • A "Visitor Visa with authorization to perform remunerated activities" allows work for up to 180 days but is non-renewable.

  • Regular Tourist Visa or Tourist Card holders cannot work in Mexico.

Lost or Damaged Resident Card

  • For a replacement, visit a local immigration office with:

    • Passport (original and copy).

    • Replacement fee.

    • Three photos (two front, one left profile).

    • FMM and entrance visa if the card was damaged.

    • Form for immigration procedure stay.

    • Any additional required documents.

  • If lost abroad, contact a Mexican embassy for a replacement.

We work with all different nationalities

1. You have to be in Mexico with legal entry. 2. You are single and not married.

3. You have funds to pay for the entire process.

4. There is no age limit.

5. You will end up with 2 years of temporary residency. Renewable for 2 more years, and you become permanent.

In Mexico it's not what you know, it is who you know. In Mexico with right connections, everything is possible.

Please let us know if we can assist you in obtaining your Temporary Residency in Mexico.

Contact us